This has become our favorite Chili recipe, It serves 8-10 and takes only 15 minutes to put together. Cook in the crockpot on hi for 4 hours or on low for 8. It’s quite well known and featured in many books, but we believe it originated from the “The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook” by Dr. John McDougall and his wife, Mary.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans
- 1 15 oz cans of white beans
- 1 15 oz can red or pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can of black-eyed peas
- 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
Place the onion, garlic, and water in a small saucepan. Cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add all the seasonings, mix well, and heat for 1 minute. combine the beans and tomatoes in a Crock Pot. Add the onion-seasoning mixture, mix well, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Note: Buy the low sodium beans to keep the sodium level low whenever possible. For any that are not low sodium, rinse them beans before cooking. Don’t rinse the low sodium beans, or you risk losing the liquid.